google engine

Custom Search

People Who Love Belize

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Belize Part 6

I know it's been awhile, I had a busy week.  I want to get back into the Belize Blogs, I think I have one or two more before my whole week will have been covered. The first this I want to tell you guys about are these strange holes.  One of the days in Belize we took a long boat trip up the coast, and went down this canal that separates Mexico and Belize.  Both sides were all mangroves trees. The canal was a maze too me, turns everywhere, dead ends.  I had no idea where we were.

 Anyways, we ended up in this little pool completely surrounded by a mangrove forest, and the sea water was only about 8 feet deep, so we could see the bottom.  We started seeing these crater looking things on the sea floor. We asked the boat captain about them, and couldn't really make out what he was saying, but I think they are called Blue Holes.  Basically they are these craters that go really deep, and are interconnected with other craters underwater.  We would see fish swim into the darkness in these craters and never come back.  It was the perfect combination of awesome and scary, cause we had no idea what was down there.  The boat captain told us that some people will swim down into them, follow and tunnel and try to pop-up out of a different crater somewhere.

That sounded like the stupidest thing you could do to me.  You could get stuck in those tunnels and your dead.  Some of these craters were huge, but some we just big enough to swim into. Some were close enough to one and another so that people thought about try to swim through the tunnels, but it was just too dark and we were concerned about what was hiding in those tunnels.  I don't know how no one in my group got any pictures of these holes, but I found this one on google.  Its pretty much 100% exactly what we saw and experienced.  As you can see, there is the one hole in the main view of the picture, but if you look close you can see another one in the upper right corner.  So I ask you, would you swim into the first dark hole and hop to pop out of the other one?

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure I wouldn't have the balls to do this, but I would be happy just by swimming above it, what an amazing place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man when I was diving I went through small archways which you could see the other side from, that would be a little too scary going through full on tunnels not knowing where you'll come out! Would definitely give it a shot though, with a very experienced buddy and strong torch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did that once at another place. I only did it once. Too claustrophobic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been living in Costa Rica for the last five years, but we don't really have any caves to dive. You are a braver man than I....

    ReplyDelete
  5. underwater craters are so rare though

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! i would be scared as hell but would do it anyway seems like something no one should miss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks sooooo scary. i probably couldn't even swim above it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent blog man. Why do you live in Belize? I want to live in the tropics but I have not been able to make it happen... GOt any out of the way places there that are good for friendly Americans?

    ReplyDelete